• Ciera Harrell

What not to feed your dog on Thanksgiving


There are many ways to ensure that the holiday season passes with no trips to the vet or nasty carpet stains.

According to USA Today, "Most canine-based problems start at the end of the meal."

As dishes are taken from the table and piled into the kitchen, leftovers are most vulnerable for your dog to get in to.

While the high-fat foods common to the holiday can cause upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea and worse in dogs, turkey bones can do serious damage and are potentially fatal, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.

If you find your dog gnawing on a bit of skeletal turkey, the safest thing to do is to take it to the emergency vet. Those narrow bones can cause severe internal injuries.

The same vigilance is needed for platters of stuffing, sweet potatoes, and other foods. Place leftovers in the fridge right away and take the trash outside before returning to your guests.

Resist the urge to slip food to your dog because you're in a festive mood. Sweets are off limits, as well, especially chocolate, which can be poisonous to pooches.

The darker the chocolate, the worse it is for dogs. Bakers' and dark chocolate are far more toxic than milk chocolate.

If your dog is inactive or in pain, a trip to the vet is highly recommended.

Call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. It's answered 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.