• Allison McMillian

FDA issues warning about eating Dragon Breath dessert


On Thursday, August 30, 2018, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned against consuming the liquid-nitrogen snack called “Dragon’s Breath.” There are many different variations of the cold snack served by different vendors.

The FDA gave the warning after a child, Johnny Mckenny, and his mother, Racheal McKenny, were placed a hospital. The family was on a 40-minute road trip back home when the mother noticed her son started coughing. As they got longer into the road trip, she noticed that the cough was getting worse. It got so bad that the son could hardly breathe and was having difficulty catching his breath, according to Fox News.

The family was too far from a hospital, but Racheal’s husband, John McKenny, knew of a nearby fire station. The family stopped there, and paramedics placed Johnny on an albuterol treatment and IV. The paramedics then transferred him to a local hospital. Johnny was in the hospital for that day and then sent home the next.

“The FDA has become aware of severe -- and in some cases, life-threatening -- injuries, such as damage to skin and internal organs caused by liquid nitrogen still present in the food or drink,” the agency said in a statement. “There has also been a report of difficulty breathing after inhaling the vapor released by liquid nitrogen when added immediately before consumption.”

Liquid is non-toxic, but can cause severe damage to the skin or internal organs because of the severely low temperature it reaches.

“Inhaling the vapor released by a food or drink prepared by adding liquid nitrogen immediately before consumption may also cause breathing difficulty, especially among individuals with asthma,” the FDA said.

3 views