New viral challenge raises concern for parents


The latest social media challenge has teenagers eating a Tide Pod for the challenge. Concerns related to this challenge have been rapidly growing as it gets more attention. Videos have been made of people eating the pods; some went as far as to put the pods in a frying pan before eating them, according to the Washington Post.

CBS News correspondent Anna Werner reported, “Manufacturers have been concerned about toddlers mistakenly ingesting them, but now teens are popping them on purpose and posting videos of the results online.”

Three ingredients in the pods are meant to wipe out dirt and grime: ethanol, hydrogen peroxide, and polymers; together, this creates a highly-toxic mix of detergent, multiple news sources reported. Anna Marie Buerkle, acting chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, states that ingesting any amount of the liquid in the pods carries a life-threatening risk, according to multiple news sources.

According to the Florida Poison Information Center, the pods can cause those who ingest them to “aspirate on the liquid by inhaling it into their lungs,” or “become ill by ingesting it — experiencing a change in blood pressure and heart rate, losing consciousness or having seizures.” Eight fatalities have been reported since 2012.

Marc Pagan, a nineteen-year-old, did the challenge on a dare. He told CBS News he knew better but completed the challenge anyway. Pagan stated, "a lot of people were just saying how stupid I was or how – why would I be willing to do that. No one should be putting anything like that in their mouths, you know?"

The maker of Tide products, Procter & Gamble, commented to CBS News about the situation: "they should not be played with... Even if meant as a joke. Safety is no laughing matter."

3 views