Finland knife attack leaves two dead
In Turku, Finland, two women have been stabbed to death and six others have been injured and hospitalized. This attack took place at two local markets around 4:00 pm local time (9:00 am ET) on Aug. 18. 2017.
BBC reported, “The two women stabbed to death were both Finnish. Eight people were also injured, among them a Briton, a Swede, and an Italian.” The casualties in the attack ranged in age from 15 to 67.
Police believe this was a terrorist attack. According to BBC, “Police said in a statement: ‘The act had been investigated as murder, but during the night we received additional information which indicates that the criminal offences are now terrorist killings.’”
The New York Times reported, “The Moroccan teenager accused of carrying out Finland’s first jihadist terrorist attack had been flagged months ago for extremist views, around the time he was denied asylum, the authorities said on Monday.”
The police have released information on the main suspect being an 18-year-old Moroccan man. This did not stop the Finland police from holding four other Moroccan men. Police know the men’s names but have not released the names to the media as of right now.
Police also believe that the man responsible for the killings and injuries had a motive to come after women. According to the BBC, Crista Granroth, from the National Bureau of Investigation, said, “It seems that the suspect chose women as his targets, because the men who were wounded were injured when they tried to help, or prevent the attacks.”