Chocolate Bar Nearly Causes Fatal Accident
On November 15, 2016, near Taupo, New Zealand, a 40-year-old man and his 60-year-old mother suffered an automobile accident. Police say that the man who was driving was not familiar with the road he was driving on. He was also driving a relative’s car in bad weather conditions on the Tuesday afternoon.
What really caused the accident was that the motorist was eating a "Crunchie" chocolate bar as he was driving the vehicle and ended up choking. The man tried to slam on the brakes but ended up skidding and went off the side of the road and off a cliff, landing in a river 100 feet below. Authorities said it was a miracle that both survived.
The trees down below the cliff prevented the sudden stop at the bottom of the river. The driver told police that he had been knocked unconscious in the accident. The man was able to get out the vehicle and climb back up the bank. They were both taken to Taupo hospital for their injuries and mild hypothermia, but they were soon released.